Thursday 10 August 2017

Echlinville Apple Harvest

Today's post is brought to you with the assistance of a damned good nights sleep, coffee and the sweet, sweet joy of having just finished cutting Toby's hair. He didn't enjoy the experience but then neither did I; though he feels great now, a whole lot lighter and after my shower, I do too. So everything has balanced out I think...apart from the fact that I had to do all the cleaning up and he went to bed.
Toby - www.growourown.blogspot.com
Before and After (arrghh those eyebrows!)
It was my first shower in some days... I know what you're thinking - "ewwww, she's gross!" - I have been super ill and too depressed, too wobbly on my feet and too tired to shower. If you have experienced poor mental health you'll understand.  In fact I'm going to add links in this post and at the side of this blog to two fabulous websites I recently found that are helping me feel supported in my fight - you might like them too, you know who you are xxx

The Blurt Foundation ~ https://www.blurtitout.org/
The Mighty ~ https://themighty.com/

****

Happy apple - www.growourown.blogspot.com

So, anyway let's celebrate the apple harvest! Hurrah! On Saturday I was the lucky one to gather up the bounty from our 2 espaliered Echinville trees, tied into each side of the archway at the back of the plot. The birds had gotten through about half of them now and I couldn't stand it anymore. Plus, though we had been told that they are ripe in September; it seems that August is more correct.


allotment apple harvest  - www.growourown.blogspot.com

Here's the haul we took home and the very bad ones that went into the compost. I also left about half a dozen on the ground for all the wasps and insects that were feasting on them.


Now we are slowly processing them and freezing batches. So far we have used 20 apples and made two big freezer bags of porridge topping/ apple pie filling. Just by stewing the apples and adding mixed fruit and brown sugar (to taste). Easy and so delicious!

Celebrating 9 yrs of allotment blogging - www.growourown.blogspot.com

PLUS today is the 9th anniversary of this very blog - hurrah!
Thank you to everyone who reads and especially those commentators and 'likers'. I never did intend for this to be public, but back then I had no idea what I was doing, haha. It's been one of the best decisions (if you can call it that) that I've made, though I still don't know about the title....

Big love
Carrie
xx

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 9 years as a blogger I don't really like my blog title either but like you I started not anticipating going public,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby's looking good. Sorry to see that you've been feeling as you have. That's a good haul of apples. Well done on nine years blogging. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carrie girl ! Congrats on the 9 years ... who would have guessed, right ?
    I love the cute apple with the leaf smile ... and Toby looks amazing .. you did a wonderful job on him.
    Hang on girl ... I'm thinking of you !
    Joy : )
    PS ... I can't wait for Autumn !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy ninth blogaversary - lovely to see Toby in his 'party dress'!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x